SpeedProfs.com has two objectives:
- Evangelize speed
- Powering you to speed up the web
SpeedProfs provides unbiased news, tips & tricks to make the web a faster place. We do research, publish news and maintain guides. Want to help? Please contact speedprofs!
Why we started this?
1. Internet keeps on growing
- Globally, Internet traffic will grow 4-fold from 2010 to 2015 [Cisco]
2. Speed of apps/sites is a critical enabler for success
- People are used to fast online services as Google and Amazon have set the benchmark
- More and more software and functionality is moving to the browser
- Despite high penetration of broadband connections globally, there are still many limiting factors for fast loading times. Also as mobile devices will take over the connected web in 2014 – (bandwidth) optimizations stay very important
- A mix of different expertise is needed to ensure a speedy app/site, especially when operating globally. Although common techniques can be applied – every app/site needs tailored optimizations techniques for the best results.
3. Growing amount of startups/ consultancies move into Web Performance Optimization (WPO)
- WPO is a growing expertise, more blogs, more tools, more insights.
- No real authority (except few individuals on specific topics). Information is very scattered, often biased or written from a system perspective (instead of user experience and commercial benefit)
- ROI of speed optimizations often not clear for (site/app) business owners, partly due to “technical jargon”.